Speaking -- it is the newest member of the TOEFL® family and, for many students, the scariest! The new TOEFL® test asks you to speak 6 times into your microphone. Your responses (between 45 and 60 seconds in length) are recorded, saved, and scored by ETS' group of trained raters. You will be scored from 1 to 4 on each response and your overall score will be converted into a scaled score from 0 to 30 (like the other three sections of the iBT).
You won't know prior to the test exactly what the questions will be, but they will always follow a pattern. With my help, you can become an expert on all 6 speaking patterns and receive plenty of practice (using one of the iBT books mentioned earlier). In addition, I will give you constant feedback on both the content and the delivery of your responses. Also, I will always be available to model a response for any of the speaking tasks.
Here are the 6 speaking tasks (using the names given in the THOMSON series):
1) Personal Preference Task (0:15 preparation time/0:45 speaking time)
2) Paired Choice Task (0:15 preparation time/0:45 speaking time)
3) Announcement/Discussion Task (0:30 preparation time/0:60 speaking time)
4) General/Specific Task (0:30 preparation time/0:60 speaking time)
5) Problem/Solution Task (0:20 preparation time/0:60 speaking time)
6) Summary Task (0:20 preparation time/0:60 speaking time)